Search This Blog

Wednesday, 13 November 2013

Sick Days

 
  
I love sick days. I think they're great. Don't worry, I am actually sick.  I'm not exactly sure what's wrong with me (besides a multitude of things) but I think it has something to do with my late nights and lack of water. No, sorry to burst your bubble, but my late nights have nothing to do with partying. *sad face* But I think it is important to let you guys know, as a general rule, that if you're staying up late doing homework or whatever it is cool kids do these days, you should drink A LOT of water. I know I sound like those pamphlets you read in the doctors' office that say, "Drink at least 6-8 cups of water a day," but it is incredibly healthy for you.

a) It helps fight spots and breakouts
b) It can help you wake up sometimes
c) It fills your tummy when you're hungry (well, sometimes...)
d) It can help boost your immune system

There's a longer list of why water's beneficial for you but let's not get too into that right now. All I'm going to say for now is: drink water.



Okay, okay, I'll get back on point now. So, the main reason that I love sick days are that they're special. It's not like holidays or the weekend where everyone is off school or work. It's just you. On your own, enjoying the day. It's a different kind of solitude, I guess. Maybe it's because you know that you're the only one getting this magical day so you feel more....important? Powerful? Significant? Have you ever wished that the weekend could be one day longer? Sick days are like that one extra day. That being said, don't go skipping one day of school every week!

Now I know if you're like me, the one thing you probably think about sick days is that it gives you a chance to catch up on all the TV you've missed, the homework you probably forgot about, the chance to tidy your room, to sort out your photos on your computer, the opportunity to actually read Romeo and Juliet and not just read the synopsis on Sparknotes, but frankly, that won't happen. This morning when I thought I would get the opportunity to do all of the above, the first thing I did (naturally) was sleep. For six more hours to be exact. And guess what? I'm still tired.

A couple months ago, a friend of mine took a sick day and she said to me, "sick days are really useful. I managed to catch up on all the homework I needed to and now I'm so relaxed." I guess different people spend their sick days doing different things. While it would be nice to be able to do all the things I want to do in my day of rest, I know that the most important thing for my health and my body is to sleep.


So what I'm saying to y'all today is make the most of your sick day when you get one. Treasure them because once the clock hits 4 pm - or whenever your school ends - it's no longer your sick day anymore. But I love sick days. They're great. And they give you a bit of a break from reality.  So if you're sick or you're just a bit under the weather, here are some of my essentials:

  • A good movie. Something girly is highly recommended eg. Life as We Know it, Step Up, Tangled etc.

  •  A hot beverage of some sort. Being very British at heart, I think English Breakfast Tea is best. But hot chocolate works just as well.

  • A laptop. This is my number one priority. I don't mean to sound like one of those kids who's glued to their computer but technology is beautiful. You can do anything on it. Watch Youtube videos, go online shopping, play games, look through photos, stalk celebrities, write blog posts, watch movies, go on social media websites, among many other things. 

  • Just sit there and breathe. Or lie down if you'd prefer. Like I said before, sick days give you a break from reality so take the time to not think. I know this sounds like the most unproductive thing to do but it's really nice when you're sick or stressed to just clear your mind.

  • Clean your face. Just washing it can help clear bad, icky gunk off your face and make you feel instantly alive. Then maybe you might do something useful with your day!  

  • Sleep, sleep, sleep. If you've been sleep deprived it's imperative that you catch up on some much needed sleep. Even just one or two more hours will improve your health by a lot. 

  • Drink, drink, drink. No, I don't mean alcohol. But if that makes you feel better AND you're above the drinking age in your own country, go ahead. To clear this situation up, I meant water. When you're sick, your skin can get dry and lack some life. And especially in the colder months, will your skin thank you for some much needed moisture. *Side note: I find drinking water in a sippy cup (not sure if they're called this, but see image below) helps me drink more water and makes drinking it more enjoyable. Also it just makes life that bit more exciting.*

 

So that's my drabble done for today! If you are sick, I hope you get better and maybe you can even check out this post to help cheer you up. As always, take care!

♥ Jess ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment: