Search This Blog

Wednesday, 2 October 2013

Lizzy Bennet = Me

In my last blog post, I mentioned the fact that my English class is now tackling Pride and Prejudice. Before this was given as a reading assignment, I had previously attempted to read P+P but had no such luck. One reason may have been my poor English level back then but I realised that Pride and Prejudice is not something to be read lightly the first time. Personally, I think there needs to be some analysis and thought about the characters and the storyline to really appreciate the magic that is Pride and Prejudice. Like I've often said before, I never tend to like books that we are forced to read in school yet I found myself falling in love with the characters. Even Mr Collins. I hate him but I love him because he makes me laugh yet I can't stand his self-deprecation while I think he is amazing to laugh at although I wish sometimes he would just stop talking. Phew. Oh Jane Austen, the things you have made me feel while reading your golden words.

 
 
While reading the book a few weeks ago, I began to notice a few similarities between the characters in the book and people today. This shocked me as I had previously thought of them as a different species speaking a language that is detectable as English yet incomprehensible to the human ear. So you can imagine my astonishment when I realised that maybe these characters were us but in a previous life. So let's begin with these similarities!
  • (Page 9, Chapter 2) "Mary wished to say something sensible, but knew not how."
    Come on, we all know that one person who tries to appear more intelligent than they actually are or think themselves more intelligent than they are. Sometimes it's annoying, but there's always that one person. Maybe it's you? You never know...
  • (Page 11, Chapter 3) "The ladies were somewhat more fortunate, for they had the advantage of ascertaining from an upper window, that he wore a blue coat and rode a black horse."
    We've all done this at one point or another. Maybe you've spotted the neighbour's son coming home from practice or there's someone you like near you and you can see them but they can't see you. Don't be ashamed, it's a perfectly normal thing to "spy" on someone you like. I think.
  • (Page 12, Chapter 3) "The girls grieved over such a number of ladies; but were comforted the day before the ball by hearing, that instead of twelve, he had brought only six with him from London, his five sisters and a cousin."
    If the guy/girl you've ever liked has thrown a party or is coming to a social gathering of some sort and you hear that they're bringing girls, it's almost like a rule that you have to freak out and find out as much as you can about who the girls are and whether they're competition or not.
  • (Page 12, Chapter 3) "The ladies declared he was much handsomer than Mr. Bingley, and he was looked at with great admiration for about half the evening, till his manners gave a disgust which turned the tide of his popularity..."
    Does this remind you of any teenage movies you've ever watched? Obviously the ending is different, but this first introduction just reminded me of the "hot jock" who is either stupid/rude/mean in those girly chick-flicks. But we find out Darcy is the opposite and absolutely adorkable, so I'll forgive him for this first impression he gave me and all the readers.
  • (Page 14, Chapter 3) "....she told the story however with great spirit among her friends; for she had a lively, playful disposition, which delighted in anything ridiculous."
    This makes me love Lizzy. I mean after Darcy says she is "tolerable, but not enough to tempt" him she still manages to not be put down by his comment. She's just so confident and knows who she is. You go, girlfriend! And hey, she gets the guy in the end, doesn't she?
  • (Page 15, Chapter 3) "Mr Bennet protested against any description of finery."
    Oh Mr Bennet...men today are just like you, they don't care about clothes of any sort. I find it hilarious that the phrase "men never change" is quite applicable to this scenario.
 

 
 
I think I'll stop here - it was a bit longer than I had anticipated so I'll post another 3 chapters soon! My main goal of this post was to give you a bit more insight into the P+P world and let you know that they're really not that different from us, so don't be afraid to tackle this novel just because of how highly regarded it is. I promise you will not regret reading this work of a genius.
 
All the best!
♥ Jess ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment: