Search This Blog

Friday, 31 May 2013

One Of The Perks of Writing

Often, I find people are so caught up in the world and their work that they are unable to appreciate their environment. They rush to work, frazzle their brains, return back to their dwelling and repeat the cycle. Day after day. Always on a loop. That's why I think the perfect scene is New York.
"I'm in a New York State of Mind," as Billy Joel once said, and I can't stop smiling as I think of the city.
Frequently referred to as "The City That Never Sleeps," I'd be lying if I stated;"New York has absolutely nothing to do." And of course, being a truthful person, I like to share real opinions with others.
First of all, New York is one of the ideal cities for my favourite hobby: shopping. Picture any store. as you walk into said store in New York City, the employees snap their heads in your direction and race to be the second thing you see. After subsequently achieving their vitim (ie. you), they then proceed to ask you, "How are you?" in their strong American accents. What startles me most about this is not their voice or their animalistic approach to gaining a customer, its the fact that they seem genuinely interested to know you. Obviously I was pleased at the time, but it took me a while to get over my shock  and stammer a "F-f-fine."
Of course there are various other attractions, for example; The Statue of Liberty, Times Square, Madison Square Gardens and Central Park to name a few. Do you really want to go to a place where all you see are sheep and tractors?
New York has allowed me to change my perception of cities. Yes, I see it as a fast-paced, industrial city but at the same time I realise that it can be relaxed. In a world full of media with materialistic views, the heart of New York City seems to be an anomaly in this twisted society. An anomaly that should be celebrated and looked up to. The heart of New York City is the "Heart of the World."


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You're probably wondering: "What has the title got to do with New York?" Well, my lovelies, I'm about to tell you. You see, the task was to write about the "Ideal Holiday Destination" and because it was a timed piece that I wrote for school, naturally I panicked a little and the only city I could think of was New York City. Now, the shocking secret: I have never been to New York.
I know, I know, New York is on that list of cities to visit before you die but I'm having a bit of trouble persuading my dear mother to let us take a family trip there.
Bearing that in mind, you can see why I love writing. With writing, there's no right or wrong answer. Obviously there are some rules, e.g. commas, clauses, the "and I" rule, blahdy blahdy blah ... etc. but you can be as free as you'd like when you write.  A bit like painting a picture or composing music. The thing is, without even going to the city, I was able to imagine a city in my head. And no one can tell me that it's wrong because this is the New York City that I see in MY head. Whether the piece is good or bad is a different case and is entirely up to you, of course, but I see writing/drawing as a 3D form of your creativity and imagination. So one of the perks of writing is: the ability to be free and have your own opinion to be individual.
Again, thanks for reading, and leave me any feedback if you'd like!

 ♥ Jess ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment: