Search This Blog

Thursday, 23 May 2013

My Three Favourite Relationships

After mentioning Monica and Chandler one of my other blog posts, I couldn't stop thinking about my favourite couples on television and the whole idea of love in general. The thing about TV couples is that everyone can see their relationship. Every part of their relationship is captured on the program and even if you don't know who these couples are, everything you need to know is one Google/Youtube search away!
(Note: These couples are not in order of preference. When it comes to "shipping" couples, it's often difficult to say which one is better than the other as they all have certain aspects that drew me to "ship" them in the first place.
In addition: A massive "Thank You" to Courtney Cox, Matthew Perry, Melissa Joan Hart, Nate Richert, Jason Segel and Alyson Hannigan for playing their characters so incredibly well. There's no one else who can bring these couples to life the way they can.
Verb; To ship: Shipping, derived from the word relationship, is the belief that two characters, fictional or non-fictional, are (or will be, or should be) in a romantic relationship.)

So, on with couples!

1) Monica and Chandler (Friends) - These two first met after Monica's brother (Ross) brought his roomate from College home for Thanksgiving (Chandler). Thereafter, the two became friends and eventually after getting slightly tipsy, they..um...did "it" and fell in love. Their story is a lot more complicated than that, but I thought I'd just simplify it in order to keep some of the mystery left for those who don't know who they are. (And also to avoid writing 3 pages about their history). If you haven't watched "Friends" already, I ORDER you to go to your nearest HMV/amazon/ebay etc. immediately and pick up the whole ten seasons. Now.

Reason why I love these two so much: Friends first, relationship after. I think all the couples in this list were friends first and a couple later. Also, throughout their relationship and marriage, you can see them being themselves and accepting each other for who they are. For instance, Chandler is always telling these cheesy yet amazing jokes and it's evident he does this  just to see Monica smile. And Monica, although controlling most times, sees the good in Chandler and helps him during the period where he was unemployed. The main thing though, is that they're best friends. I mean, who better to marry than your best friend?

"My wife's an incredible woman. She's loving and devoted and caring. And don't tell her I said this but the woman's always right... I love my wife more than anything in this world. And it kills me that I can't give her a baby. I really want a kid. And when that day finally comes, I'll learn how to be a good dad. But my wife, she's already there. She's a mother without a baby..."
- Chandler about Monica
 
"We look at you, and we see you together, and it just, it fits, and you just know, it's going to last forever"
- Joey talking to Chandler and Monica
 
 " You're not easygoing but you're passionate and that's good. And when you get upset about the little things, I think I'm pretty good at making you feel better about it."
- Chandler to Monica

Chandler: "Please promise me, that you will never leave me. That we will grow old together and be with each other for the rest of our lives."
Monica: "I promise."
 
 
2) Harvey and Sabrina (Sabrina The Teenage Witch) - I've never really believed in people marrying their high school sweetheart, but I think Harvey and Sabrina are the exception. I remember watching this with my mum when I was younger  and thinking that they were really cute friends.
 
The story: Sabrina starts at a new school where she meets Harvey. The two lock eyes and smile at each other but they don't actually manage to talk to each other until later in the day. They date for a while but after he finds out Sabrina is a witch, he breaks up with her. Later, when she is in college the two are just friends but Harvey soon regrets ending their relationship and wants her back. But, alas! Sabrina is getting married to a man that she doesn't love. Enter Harvey in his leather jacket and his motorcycle to whisk Sabrina away on horseback (motorback?).
 
Why they make it on this list: They are the only high school couple I have seen and believed to fit together. And although this would probably never occur in real life, he fully accepts Sabrina as a witch (even though he is VERY shocked by the news).While he was "friend-zoned" by Sabrina, he still looked out for her and it was clear since the beginning that these two had an incredibly special bond.  One of the things that I find very cute, is that often when Sabrina uses her magic, it's to help Harvey, even when they weren't dating and were in a fight.  
 
 
 
 
3) Marshall and Lily (How I Met Your Mother) - the final perfect example of love.
The story: These two love birds met in college where Lily knocked on Marshall's door to ask him to help fix her stereo. From then on, the two were inseparable. Again, their story is a little bit complicated but nonetheless, very, very sweet. Now, Marshall and Lily have an adorable baby boy named Marvin.  
 
Why I think they're amazing: These two are both rather weird and so naturally they seem the perfect match. Marshall is extremely tall (I think he's 6"4) and Lily is quite small ( I think around 5"2). Again, these two are best friends and I think one of my favourite episodes of How I Met Your Mother is their wedding. Throughout the episode, we see various things go wrong, one example is that Marshall gets a bad hair cut and so in a panic he shaves part of his hair off. But despite all the problems, these two tie the knot and have a beautiful wedding with just them and their 3 closest friends; Barney, Robin and Ted. They've been through so much together, that there's absolutely no one else that could compare to these two. I've said it before, but these two are so completely themselves around each other. They once even admitted to having farting competitions with each other. THAT is how comfortable they are with each other.
 
One word to sum up the perfect two: adorable.
 
"Lily: Oh my God! These pancakes are delicious!
Marshall: Yes! Thank you. I learned how to cook while you were gone this summer.
Lily: Wow! Do you want to cook dinner tonight?
Marshall: Yeah, sure...How about pancakes? "
 
 “Lily, there are a million reasons why I love you. You make me laugh and you take care of me when I’m sick. You’re sweet, caring, and you even created an egg dish and named it after me… It’s called “Egg Marshall” and it’s awesome. But the main reason that I love you is that you’re my best friend, Lily. You’re the best friend I ever had.”
- Marshall to Lily
 
"Marshall, I love you because you’re funny and you make me feel loved and you make me feel safe. And for our anniversary you gave me a sweatshirt that says, “Lily and Marshall: Rockin’ It Since ‘96”… but the main reason I love you, Marshall Eriksen, is you make me happy. You make me happy all the time.”
- Lily to Marshall
 
 
"You know, there really are a million things I could tell you about Lily and Marshall, but really, the only thing you need to know is that ten years into their relationship, they still couldn’t spend a single night apart.”
- Ted about Lily and Marshall
 

 
 
Hope you enjoyed this fun little post! All my love x
♥ Jess ♥
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment: