Search This Blog

Sunday, 14 April 2013

The Meeting

"Can I borrow your green?"
She flicks her head up and studies him for a while, before cautiously handing over the olive crayon in her hand.
"Thanks," he replies flashing a dimpled grin. She watches him waddle through the group of children playing hopscotch, back to his table to make a couple of swirls with the crayon. Suddenly, he looks up. The two lock eyes for a moment before he smiles and waddles back to her table, his paper and crayon in hand.
"I'm Matt." He hands back the crayon and sits down next to her. "What's your name?"
"Erin," she replies not looking at him.
"Erin? Isn't that a boy's name? You don't look like a boy. Are you one?"
"One what?"
"A boy."
"Oh. No. My name is spelt E-R-I –"
" – N,"  they reply at the same time.
"Jinx!" he yells. "Ha! Now you can't talk until I free you from my spell!"
She looks at him wide-eyed with her mouth opening and closing like a fish, making him laugh. And he laughs harder and harder until he snorts. They both stop. They stare at each other and howl with laughter.
"Hey, you can't make noise until I've said your name," he points out. Grinning, she gives him a shove causing him fall off the bench. She starts laughing again, surprised at her own strength.
"Okay you win, Erin," he chuckles, putting emphasis on her name. "Cool drawing," he points to the her paper with a blue building, red grass and purple trees.
"Thank you," she smiles down at her handiwork.
"But you know that it's grass that's purple and trees that are red, right?"
"Are not."
"Are too."
She narrows her eyes at him.
"Are not!"
"Are too!"
"No, they're not! Grass is red and trees are purple!"
"No, you're wrong! Grass is purple and trees are red!"
They glare at each other. Slowly, the edges of his mouth turn up into a smile and she can't stop herself from smiling back.
" How come you're here alone?" he asks her, fiddling with the crayons arranged on the table.
She opens and closes her mouth like a fish again. Chuckling, he says, "You can tell me. I don't bite."
Taking a breath she mumbles, "The other girls think I'm gross."
"Why?"
"Because my dress is all dirty. I was playing in the mud before."
He glances down at her purple-and-blue-checkered dress and notices the patches of brown near the bottom of it.
"Well I think you're pretty cool."
Her head snaps up and she looks at him in shock. "I'm not."
"Are too!"
She doesn't reply in their same argumentative form.
"You know before, when you jinxed me and you said I couldn't talk until you said my name?" she asked. "Well, I actually didn't talk. I was laughing."
His face contorts into a confused expression before he giggles. He changes the subject, not wanting to admit that he's wrong and she's right.
" I like you," he snorts. "Let's be best friends, 'kay?"
She nods.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I hope you enjoyed that! I think I'm going to transform this piece to be part of a mini-series over the next couple of weeks.
The topic of love came to me when I was watching a re-run  of "Friends" earlier, more specifically the one where Chandler proposes to Monica. Chandler and Monica's relationship is one of my favourites as the idea of falling in love with someone who is your best friend seems like the perfect match to me.  From there, I expanded on the idea of two people spending pretty much their whole lifetime together and so the meeting of two friends (Matt and Erin) was born! I really hope I captured the innocence of their youth in this story.
Feedback is always welcome! (Click the section that says "No Comments", to give me a little feedback)

 ♥ Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a comment: